number of organisations have produced guidance to help professionals, parents
and carers who are supporting children through the transition from lockdown to
returning to schools which will be operating very differently to the
pre-coronavirus period. These include:
- Managing unexpected endings and transitions – A practical guide produced by the Anna Freud Centre on supporting pupils and students during periods of change and disruption, including the return to school following lockdown.
- Returning to school after the coronavirus lockdown– a guide produced by the Mental Health Foundation outlining the scale of the challenge that schools are facing, and providing practical advice on supporting pupils as they return to school.
- Preparing Autistic & SEND Children for going back to school – a free online course from Reachout ASC providing practical help and resources to help prepare Autistic and SEND children for the return to school.
- Top NHS doctor issues advice for children going back to school – an article from NHS England focusing on the potential impact that returning to school will have on children’s mental health and setting out the signs to look out for.
- Transition Support for Parents Preparing their Child to Return to School – a booklet produced by Adoption Counts, OneEducation and Manchester University NHS Trust setting out ideas for planning ahead and thinking about strategies that will help children through the transition